Encourage forgiveness in your family and your hearts will feel the freedom they deserve! This month’s family time topic from the “Sky Ranch Family Devotional: Follow the Leader” is on “Jesus forgives and heals you“ and the weekly discussion is on “Forgive like Jesus and freedom.“ This week is such a positive message and one of the amazing blessings of trusting Jesus. As a Mom, walk alongside your kids and teach them about the true release that you feel when you forgive others. Encouraging forgiveness will restore harmony to your family and bring peace to each person and the whole family.
This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying for your family and ask God to reveal if any of you harbor anger toward each other or someone outside the family. Anger is very normal, but if you ignore it or release it incorrectly, it will cause problems. Forgiveness is a very necessary response to anger. But forgiveness can feel awkward at first and it is not commonly your first response when you have been wronged. It has to be taught. Pray for God to give you the words to talk to your family about healthy ways to forgive and share the freedom that you feel when you make the choice to forgive.
Do you have questions or need prayer for your family? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you!
Stacy A. Davis
Sky Ranch Family Devotionals and
Teach Intentionally Author
This week we are in the 4th Topic and 21st Family Time (or page 42) of the Sky Ranch Family Devotional “Follow the Leader”…
Family Time 21:
Topic 4: Jesus forgives and heals you… Forgive like Jesus and freedom
Talk with God: Read… Scriptures and questions below.
Ephesians 4:32 And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
- In Eph. 4:32, once forgiven, how do you treat each other?
Colossians 3:12 And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.
- In Col. 3:13, since God forgave you, what do you do?
James 5:15 …and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
- In Jam. 5:15, the prayer offered in faith will restore what?
- In Jam. 5:16, in order to be healed, what do you do?
- In Jam. 5:16, much is accomplished by what?
Walk with God: Discuss… Anger, bitterness, resentment are not pleasant to live with. There is a reason that God commands you to forgive. How do you treat others once you are forgiven? Is there anyone that you need to forgive or pray for?
Prayer suggestion… Pray for God’s help to forgive others.
Family Time 21:
- Forgive each other and be kind, tender-hearted
- Forgive each other
- Restore the one who is sick
- Confess your sins, pray for one another
- The effective prayer of a righteous man
- Discussion ideas: Anger is the feeling you have when you have been treated unjustly. Is there someone in the family or a friend that you are angry with? Pray and ask God to call it to mind. Then, forgive them. Forgiveness is giving up your right to punish them by words, actions, or even ignoring them. God commands you to forgive and for your benefit. If you don’t forgive, it is disobedience to God, plus you can become bitter and harbor anger which can cause many problems. Free yourself from the trap of anger and forgive…what is the benefit of this freedom?
© 2012 Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.