Monday, January 11, 2016

Thoughts are Things - Lisa Clark



Have you ever heard the saying, “Thoughts are things”? I heard it recently and I really thought about it, no pun intended.


I get in trouble when my thoughts turn ugly, then I open my mouth.  My thoughts often become things and those things are WORDS.  And my words are often a direct reflection of my heart.  Ugh.  And those words are usually spewed at the ones I love most. 


If I want my words to be pure and holy, then I have to start with my thought life.  I have to take captive EVERY SINGLE THOUGHT.  HOWWWW??????? My brain is on overload most of the time and I’m busy! How can I think before I think? Anyone?


Here’s what The Message says:

2 Corinthians 10:5

            The world is unprincipled.  It’s dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn’t fight fair.  But we don’t live or fight our battles that way – never have and never will.  The tools of our trade aren’t for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture.  We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ.  Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity. 


Don’t you love The Message? I do.  Here’s the King James Version – “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.”

Bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.  Pondering.  Pondering.  Take every thought captive.  To the obedience of Christ. 


When my thought life is devoted and obedient to Christ, my words fall into submission to Him as well.  Thoughts are things. 


How? Pray.  Read God’s word.  Fellowship with Believers.  Serve.  Meditate on His word.  Pray. Fellowship.  Love.  Serve.  Share the gospel.  Repeat.  Go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment