Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Overflowing Cup by Terrie Chevaillier

The Overflowing Cup



You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, you anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows. Psalm 23:5

You have a cup that you walk around with.  So do your friends.  I have a cup.  It’s an invisible cup that we hold out each day.  No one can see it and you don’t really know you are holding it out and walking around with it.

The cup says, “fill me up, I want to overflow.”  Maybe you hold it out to your husband and expect him to fill it up.   Perhaps it is food, excessive exercise, the approval of others, tennis, kid’s sports, kid’s accomplishments, a fixer upper house complete with Magnolia Market furnishings (who doesn’t want that?) 

We wake up each day and are unaware that we pick that cup up and take it into our day and ask it to be filled as we move in and out of our circles and places.  Our hearts say to the things of this world….fill my cup today.  Some people wish you didn’t have your cup because they are hurt and tired of trying to be the one to fill it when they see you holding it out and coming towards you to with it.

I have a personal name for my cup.  It is called The Contentment Cup.  When I am discontent, I hold it out to all sorts of people and places until it reaches the mark of contentment.  The hard thing about that is that the next day my cup is empty and I have to take it back out and plan and go and do and fret and work, sometimes until the night to get it filled back up again.

Godliness with contentment is great gain.  1 Timothy 6:6

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding the promise for both the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

We have an unlimited source of supply each morning that is just waiting to fill that cup up till it overflows.  And when you let Him fill it up each morning, you then get to take it into your home and into the world and instead of asking it to be filled by limited sources, you spill your overflowing cup out and over into the lives of others?  

Godliness spills out all over you and whoever you bump into.


Are you holding out your cup today?  If so, there is One who is waiting to fill it till it overflows.  Take it to Him and it will never run dry.  Not only will it bring you happiness, but others will be happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment