Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lisa Life Lesson ~ “Mom, That’s So 1900’s!!!”

“Mom, That’s So 1900’s!!!”
“Mom, that’s so 1900’s!”  Yes, I really did hear those words come out of my 16 year old daughter’s mouth recently.  At first, I thought, “Wow, we have managed to lump 1910 and 1990 into the same category so soon.”  But that is exactly what preteens and teens do, isn’t it?  Why?  Because they are Here and Now focused.  What am I doing today?  What will I wear today?  How do I look today?  Who are my friends, who will I sit with, who will I ride with, who will I talk to…today?”  They don’t think too much about yesterday and don’t put much thought into tomorrow.  Just today.  It’s important for moms to first, realize this, then to not only “help” them look past today and see the big picture, but encourage them to not be so self-centered and self-focused.  How?   Well, the body of Christ is meant to love Him and serve others.  Plain and simple.  So we need to be emulating that in our homes.  Reading God’s word, having bible study time, prayer time and worship as a family is a great step in the right direction.  Then, we need to serve others.  Our communities are full of people who not only need clothes, shelter and food, but who need Jesus.  A quick way to take the focus off our preteens and teens is to “help” them look outside themselves and into the world around them.  Let’s also not forget that serving others can start in our homes.  I love to ask my family how I can serve them.  Try it.  Next time you drop your kids off at school, before they get out of the car, ask them this question, “How can I serve you today?”  They might not get it at first, but continue to ask until they give you an answer.  It won’t be long before they ask you the same question.  
 Luke 10:27 He answered: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, Love your neighbor as yourself."


~Lisa Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment