Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lisa Life Lesson ~"Moms and Facebook"


So, this morning, I've just been drinking my coffee, having my quiet time, chillin', about to take a walk...and thought I would sit down at the computer and peruse through facebook for awhile.  You know facebook, right?  It's a fun social media sight where we can post pics, reconnect with friends and see what our peeps are up to.  It's fun, informative and interactive.  It's also a nightmare.  

Moms, if you have a middle schooler or high schooler, listen up.  I just saw some blasphemous, horrific, and scary things on some facebook pages.   If you don't have a facebook, and your child does, you are asking for trouble.  Remember diaries?  They are a thing of the past.  Now, social media sights are the new diary for all to see.  

You might say, well, I can't control facebook.  I'm not the facebook police!  I'm not either.  That's why I'm telling you to get your child's password, or at least be friends with them on facebook.  Once a week, go through and check things out.  Talk to your kids about their postings, likes, friends, pics, everything!  

I love social media, don't get me wrong.  I have a twitter and facebook.  My husband has linkedin.  My daughters have twitter and facebook, and one has myspace.  It's all good.  Until sinners touch it.  (That's all of us!)  Then it's Satan's playground.  Be aware! Be on guard! 

If your child will not be friends with you on facebook or give you his/her password, then I would seriously consider taking rights to the computer away until they do.  It is that serious.  You most likely own the computer anyway.  Or at least provide the internet service.  You have a short period of time, 7th-12th grade, to walk through these teaching moments with your child.  Everything we do in life is a reflection of our heart.  We will all make mistakes.  But it is still our job and responsibility to teach God's truth to our children.  Whether or not they choose to life a godly lifestyle or not is their choice.  But we must provide boundaries.  

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'm heading out to pound the pavement.  Much love to all of you!  Summer is here.  Make everyday full of Jesus.  He loves you.  And so do we!

~Lisa Clark
Sky Ranch Parenting Mentor



No comments:

Post a Comment