Monday, October 24, 2011

Ronda from~ The Family Table, brings us "Homemade Apple Sauce!"

Hello SkyMoms,
How are you all doing? It seems absolute ages since I have written a word or cooked anything worthy of writing about. I am in the thick of my first semester of nursing school and just loving it. I have so much admiration for all of you working moms both inside and outside the home! It is not an easy job to juggle it all but it is so worth the effort is it not? Now that I am gone for long stretches during the day, my crockpot is the workhorse while I am away. I wish I could say that my menu planning has been consistent, but the truth of it is that I am human and some weeks are better than others. I am sure you all can relate to that feeling. Here is a quick recipe that my dear friend Jennifer taught me. It can go in the crockpot to simmer away all day or you can put it on the stove while you are working around the house. Either way, the smell will float through your home and permeate the walls with cinnamon goodness. Apples are in abundance right now and if you have never made homemade apple sauce then you need to try it right away. It is nothing like store bought and it is very easy to make and throw together. Serve with a roasted pork roast or as a yummy little late night snack.

Homemade Apple Sauce
Apples, peeled, cored, and diced
Sugar
Cinnamon
Cinnamon sticks
Pinch of salt
Pinch of nutmeg if desired
Water to come about half way up apples 
Squeeze of lemon juice
Wash, peel, core and dice apples into small pieces.  Put in a stock pot with a little water and a squeeze of lemon juice. Add sugar to taste, I use about a cup to cup ½ for a big pot of apples, add a few T of cinnamon, and a few cinnamon sticks. Throw in a pinch of salt and nutmeg and simmer on low heat for several hours or cook in the crock pot all day. Stir and mash up while cooking. 
I’ll check back in with you SkyMoms sooner rather than later. 




Happy Cooking and many Blessings!
Ronda….The Family Table

No comments:

Post a Comment