Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ronda from ~ The Family Table, brings us "Scrumptious Cinnamon Rolls"!


Hey Skymoms,
 How are you all doing? I hope relishing in the warmth of a fantastic summer :). If your house is anything like mine, it is filled with camps, swimming, play dates and food...lots and lots of food. I think I may go broke this summer with all the mouths I’m feeding, but especially with my own three who are eating me out of house and home! I feel like I make one meal and before the last plate is in the sink someone is asking for a snack which really equates to a mini meal in our neck of the woods.  The good news is that our kids are all healthy eaters and lovers of good things but the flip side of that is a bag of gold fish just won’t suffice hahahaha. Somedays I sure wish it would. 
I have been cookin a blue streak in the house but today I am going to write up something that I usually think about during the holidays...Cinnamon Rolls. And the reason for that is because I have a little story to go with it :)....
The secretary from our school had a running joke with our middle son, Collin. Everyday when he would walk into school she would say,” Collin, where is my cinnamon roll?” And then they’d both laugh until the next day when it would happen all over again. Stacey is the type of school secretary that is friends with everyone. She always has a big smile on her face and she treats the kids with so much love and attention it is as if they are her own. With me being a full time student myself, she has helped me out of many pickles, and I don’t mean the baseball type (that’s a baseball joke for those of you with only girls)! 
My intent was to make her a big pan of homemade rolls before the end of school. Well, that didn’t happen for several reasons. First, I don’t have that one perfect roll recipe. I have been searching high and low, but I am a picky baker and hadn’t found the one I was looking for. They either made too many (who wants 9 trays of rolls), or they had too many steps (who has 4 hours to devote to cinnamon roll making) or the taste fell short of what I wanted if I was going to blow it and have a real treat. 
All that changed when I came across a recipe on Pinterest! OH my goodness!!! Whenever I make food for someone, I always have to do a test run to make sure it turns out ok. And if it is a baked good of some sort, well I might have to make it three or a dozen times (wink wink) to make sure it is just how I want. 
This little recipe claims to be the fastest cinnamon roll, but I was skeptical that it would taste ok. I wasn’t about to trade taste for time. Let me assure you, the taste was perfecto in every way. Also, I didn’t want a whole lot of rolls sitting around tempting me after I walk in from my yoga class. When it comes to will power, I am certainly lacking in the food department. Finally, the dough had to be easy to work with and this one certainly is easy.
Bright and early, like 5 am bright and early, when I couldn’t sleep, I decided to treat the kids to warm, fresh from the oven cinnamon rolls to go along with their scrambled egg breakfast. Let me just say, all the kids were happy campers that day.  
And my friend Stacey, well, she will get her batch delivered next week when my daughter heads to basketball camp at the school. 
Scrumptious Cinnamon Rolls 
adapted from FineCooking.com
Dough:
3/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese 
1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour 
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Filling:
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
 Glaze:
4 tablespoon cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar, or to taste
1 tablespoon skim milk, or as needed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Heat the oven to 400°F. Grease the sides and bottom of a small baking pan with cooking spray.
Combine the ricotta cheese, buttermilk, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda just until the dough clumps together. The dough will be soft and moist. Now knead together a few times to make a ball.
With a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 12×15-inch rectangle. I roll the dough out on silpat and cover the top of the dough with plastic wrap to make my rolling out an easier process.

Brush the dough with the melted butter.  In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and spices. Sprinkle the mixture over the buttered area of the dough.

Starting at a long edge, roll up the dough jelly-roll style. 

Cut the roll in half and then cut those in half until you have eight pieces. Set the pieces, cut side up, in the prepared pan. 

Bake until golden brown 20 to 30 minutes. 

In a small bowl, mix the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla to make a smooth glaze. Add milk as needed to achieve thin consistency. Drizzle onto warm rolls. Let stand 10 minutes (or as long as you can stand) and serve.

***Because the recipe only makes eight rolls, I put them into my bread loaf pan, but I wouldn’t do that again. Because the insides were all bunched together, I had to bake the rolls longer.  To make sure I didn’t burn the tops, I covered the rolls with a piece of foil. My advise for pan size would be to put the rolls in a round tin and put them close together, but not crammed.
Serve fresh from the oven with scrambled eggs and hot coffee. Delicious!

I hope all of your little ones are looking forward to their Sky Ranch experience. I know our kids are counting down the days until session 7 arrives!! 
Happy Summer and many blessings to you all :)
Ronda from The Family Table

No comments:

Post a Comment