Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Prayer Encouragement: "The Beginnings of Prodigal Living" by SkyMom, Terrie Chevaillier


The Beginnings of Prodigal Living




The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them. "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. (Luke 15:12, 13 NIV)

The parable of The Prodigal Son.  It is often used when teaching how much God rejoices over the return of one of His children who have strayed.  It is a story of God's grace toward us and His love.  From it, we learn the unconditional love of the Prodigal's father which mirrors the unconditional love of THE FATHER.

After studying the parable this week, I saw something new.  A few things happened before He started off on his path of wild living that I think would be helpful when SkyMoms pray for how to love their children well.  First and foremost we learn unconditional love from this parable. As moms, that is our call....to love unconditionally as we are sinners raising little sinners.  For those of you who have attended a SkyMoms luncheon this year, Lisa Clark has encouraged us immensely in this area and also in the one I am going to encourage you to be in prayer about.


From the scripture we see these two phrases: "Father give me my share" and then we see the outcome of this request.....so he (the boy's father) divided. In modern day language we would call this request a sense of entitlement.


In our day, I am not seeing moms cave to the request to give an inheritance to a child in what would be deemed too early. However, I am seeing moms loose the battle to withhold privileges (inheritance) that should come at a later age. Our kids are saying "Give Me" in the area of social, emotional, physical, and material freedoms.  I am seeing moms dividing, or in our day, delivering. And then, I am seeing the not long afters.  Notice the words in the scripture above.

Now,  please know as I write about seeing moms.....I am that mom.  Way too often than not, I am that mom. See, on days where I haven't been in the Word to gather courage to parent as unto Him, I cave where He would have me stand strong. I become their friend on that day.  I say yes before praying about the request. I just kind of forget to go to my husband and get his unified "yes" before I deliver my solo "yes".  Often times where I am weak or enabling, he is strong. And vice versa,  where he tends to succumb to being their friend over their parent, I have courage and for lack of a better phrase.....don't care what the little people say.

Just a little tip. Often when they push back, it means you are pushing in the right direction. So moms, don't cave at the first whine of disapproval to your boundaries. Push forward in faith and trust.

This is HARD, so let's take the scripture above and pray God's Word for strength to pass the test.

Father, thank You that we have your Word that is truthful in guiding us to be an earthly father and mother.

When my young ones say "Give me mom or give me dad", where am I in disobedience to parenting Your way?

In what areas is it ok to deliver or divide? Give me a nudge to know.  Even in what I would think are little things like maybe waking them up so they don't have to hear the alarm or not taking their phone because I need them to have it. I ask for discernment in all areas where I am enabling because I am under the deception of loving in how the enemy would prefer me to love.  Give it to them now and then chaos will come later.....however we fall under deception to the outcome of later and proceed in the now. Help me be aware!  Help me to be a mom on guard!

Lord, You know those distant countries in my child's heart where they are being tempted to rebel in wild living. Where are they squandering an inheritance now that is meant for years later because of my disobedience?

Lord, thank You that you show us mercy and grace.  Keep my child under Your watchful eye. When they do stray in little or big ways, help me to stand in trust and celebrate each moment of repentance and return.....whether it just takes a day or a year.

Amen
~Terrie Chevaillier

No comments:

Post a Comment