Monday, February 16, 2015

A Few Observations from my Poinsettia - Terrie Chevaillier



This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

I received a Poinsettia this year as a hostess gift from a cookie exchange at had in my home. One of my friends who attends yearly, brings me a poinsettia as a thank you for inviting her each year. I enjoy it for a few weeks, and then it lacks water and light and dies. It lacks water and light because I forget to water it and I usually put it in my kitchen which receives little natural light. This year I decided to not do what I always do in my lack of care and concern and actually take care of it and just see how long it would live.

I watered it daily, but kept it in my kitchen. It was living, but not growing. I saw a few little green leaf buds and watched them for a couple of weeks to see if they would open up and flourish. I moved it closer to a lamp I had in my kitchen. I was expecting something different this year, but only changed one of my past observations-water. I tried to convince myself that light from the lamp might possibly work- this is embarrassing to even admit.

After about a month, I decided to make a place for it by a window in my living room. I gave up my fear that water from the plastic container it was in would leak and ruin my furniture or hardwood floor. Simple fix- I just put a large coaster under it to catch the water.

Within a couple of days, those green leaves that I had waited to further come out into big green leafy leaves suddenly appeared and with them came some little buds of red leafy flowers as well. A couple of weeks later, I turned it so the other side of the plant would begin to experience the same thing from natural light. Water and natural light were proving to work. As I write this in mid-February, all is still well and thriving with the poinsettia. I have had to remove a few dead leaves, but not many! Spiritual growth in myself and in my children can be closely related.

I can often keep doing the same things and expect different results. I can change one thing but maybe not fully obey another area God is calling me to in my own walk or in my parenting. Growth stalls. Or, I see a little growth and get hopeful, but don’t take it to the next level of obedience. Complacency or fear could be the root behind those two.

However, when I move fully into the light or encourage my children to move fully into the light- not quasi light or fake light, or convenient worldly light, but the light of God’s Word, His Spirit, His people, and prayer, I see growth! This usually takes me going first. When I grow, everyone around me gets to enjoy my growth. When my children grow, I get to enjoy seeing God in their new growth and then others they are around get to enjoy it too! Full circle growth ripples out further than we can imagine. 


God’s Word, God’s Spirit, God’s people and prayer produce growing and life giving moms and kids! I am not promising that no pruning might have to come- but if so-then you get to watch for the new and even better growth to come!



Spiritual encouragement from Terrie Chevaillier.

No comments:

Post a Comment