Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Praising God for "The Struggle" - Lisa Clark



They say it’s easier to GET a splinter than get RID of a splinter! I agree! Ouch!

To the church in Corinth, Paul reminds them of what he’s been through to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He’s truly been kept alive by God.  However, he doesn’t want to be known as a super hero.  He only wants to be known for “what they can see in my life or hear in my message…” 2 Cor. 12:6


And then the kicker –
“So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.  Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away.  Each time he said, “My grace is all you need.  My power works best in weakness.”  So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.  That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.”  2 Cor. 12:7-10

One of the hardest parts of parenting, I believe, is watching a child struggle.  Whether it’s socially, mentally, emotionally, educationally, or physically; it’s hard.  We want to take their “thorn/splinter” from them, but God has a plan.  It’s for His glory, not my comfort.  Ouch. 

Both of our daughters struggled in different areas.  Regardless the struggle, I was constantly reminding them, “The struggle keeps us on our knees.  Without the struggle, we become prideful and self -reliant.  We were meant to proclaim the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives, and give Him credit for all things in our life.  Praise God for the struggle precious one.”


Be mindful that God allowed Paul’s struggle, as He has allowed your child to struggle.  This did not catch Him off guard or off His throne.  God reminds us that if He chooses not to remove the struggle, His power and grace are sufficient. 



Life Lessons from SkyMoms Parenting Mentor Lisa Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment