Monday, January 31, 2011

Lisa Life Lesson~“Teaching a New Dog, Old Tricks”


“Teaching a New Dog, Old Tricks”


I decided to try to start the treacherous and scary process of teaching my chocolate lab how to walk on the leash today.  He’s 100 pounds of excitement.  When I open the door, it’s every man and woman for him/herself. 

I figured if Cesar can teach normal people to walk dogs on the Dog Whisperer, then I could learn, too.  I watch the show.  I’m a believer. 

The choke collar is the key.  When he takes off, I pull up on the collar.  It really is the only way to keep him submissive, and not dragging me down the sidewalk. 

Although it’s hard and tiresome, the benefit is a well-disciplined dog.  The first half of the walk is harder than the last half because he is tired of pulling.  He has learned it’s better to walk with me than to pull me, and be choked.

The comparisons to parenting are numerous.  When disciplining our children, it’s harder at the beginning because there is no frame of reference or “past.”  But once they learn that it “hurts” not to obey, then they seem to settle in.  It’s worth the pain and suffering on our part to maintain love and discipline.  It hurts and it’s painful, but it is worth it. 

“A youngster’s heart is filled with foolishness, but physical discipline will drive it far away.”  Proverbs 22:15

~Lisa Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment