Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Prayer Encouragement: "A new thought when answering a daily question ..." by SkyMom, Terrie Chevaillier


A new thought when answering a daily question ...
“Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.” 1 Timothy 4:8



What do your kids do?
I am certain that the question has been asked of you and you too have probably   asked the question.  I have been asked and I have asked.
This question is usually framed in the context of inquiring about what sport your child plays.
It’s almost as common as asking an adult…”what do you do”, meaning for employment.
Our family plays sports of all kinds and we love sports of all kinds.
We learn lots on and off the field.  Life skills, conflict resolution skills, 
how to loose well and win well, humility, integrity and I could go on.
We like to play and watch sports and have NOTHING AT ALL against sports!
With that said, when I have been asked this question lately…I have almost wanted  to answer something like this…”we are taking a small break from physical training this summer in order to get a little more time than in past summers for some training in godliness….we are finding it really hard to do both sometimes and we want to be careful not to get too out of balance.”
And then the question I often want to ask when I hear other moms talking and struggling with anxiety or maybe exhaustion from lots of children’s sports
Aka…physical training, I desire to ask….”how have your opportunities been for training in godliness?”
In an effort not to sound harsh or legalistic…I often hold back from asking this question to people I do not know very well.
However, my heart sometimes breaks in my own home and for the families in other homes as well when everyone is exhausted and depleted physically, mentally, and spiritually from too much physical training.
1 Timothy 4:8 verse that comes to my heart when that happens.
Let’s pray God’s Word:
Dear Lord, thank you that you give us the ability to run, compete, and train our bodies for service in Your kingdom.  We know the added benefits that exercise brings to our entire body and we need to be good stewards of the body you have given us with exercise and healthy habits.
Your Word says that it is good.  It brings much pleasure to my children when they find joy in participating and growing new friendships and confidence through sports.  These abilities are gifts and we thank You.
Even better than physical training, You tell us that training for godliness promises
benefits not only in the here and now….but in the life to come.
Eternal Blessings that last and never wear out.
Dear Lord, we desire to be moms that find balance in both areas.
Convict our hearts where we are out of balance and then give us courage to make changes where needed so we can get in on the benefits promised!
Amen

~Terrie Chevaillier

No comments:

Post a Comment