Monday, September 15, 2014

Prayer Encouragement: "Wholesome Talk" by SkyMom, Terrie Chevaillier

Wholesome Talk

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  
Ephesians 4:29
I was having a conversation today with a friend about sarcasm and humor at other’s expense.  She had been the recipient of some cutting words in her own home, from her own children. In fact, she kind of begin to feel like she was bullied in her own home.
So, she sought out to understand.  To understand the heart behind her older son and his not so nice way of communicating with her.  Aside, from some parenting issues that she needed to address, she also unpacked some deep waters from his heart.
He revealed to her that the way he was treating her at home, was the way others were treating him in his friendship circles.   Sarcastic, cutting, and biting words or comments.  Meant to be funny, but none the less, wounding.  Maybe funny for the one dishing it out and the other’s being entertained by the sarcasm, but not so funny in regards to how it was going down deep inside his heart.
Have you noticed it around you?  A growing trend to be funny, no matter how much fun others are enjoying it?  Like, you need to not only be able to dish it out, but take it?  I have even heard lately that this “quality” would be at the top of the list for a potential future spouse.  
Let’s Pray God’s Word:
Lord, Your Word says that we shouldn’t let unwholesome talk come out of our mouths.  Our words to others should be helpful and meant to build up and not tear down.
Reveal to me where my children might be catching on to a trend.  Reveal to me where I have allowed sarcasm to reign in my home with siblings, in my marriage, or in the way we just think we are having fun.
Let it start with me.  Help me to be a mom that builds up and doesn’t tear down, so that my words would benefit those who listen.  Let it start in my own home.
And from that training, I pray that my children would go out and bless others with their words.
Help me to see needs, where words could be a healing touch.
And, if there is any clean up that needs to be done, reveal that to us as well and guide us to obedience to make it right by the cleansing power of Christ and His forgiveness.
Amen.

~Terrie Chevaillier




No comments:

Post a Comment