Friday, October 12, 2012

Ronda from ~ The Family Table, brings us "Hungarian Coffee Cake"


There are certain foods that remind me of fall. I am no longer a coffee drinker, but on occasion, a hot cup of decaf is so comforting. If I am going to have coffee, then of course, I am going to need to something sweet to go with it. And if I have a choice of what that something sweet is going to be, I’ll always go for my mom’s Hungarian Coffee Cake. We grew up eating this delicious coffee cake and when it is baking, it still reminds me of home. I took it to the hospital a few weeks ago as a thank you to all of the nurses that work with all of us students. It was gone in no time and now I am known as “the baker” on the floor. Make one for your family and while you are at it, make another to give as a gift. Enjoy!

Hungarian Coffee Cake

1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

Filling:
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup walnuts or pecans
2 tsp cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, sour cream. Add dry ingredients. Pour half of batter in greased baking dish (13x9) or other similar sized dish. Sprinkle filling. Top with rest of batter. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (Baking time varies based on pan size)


Happy Cooking,
Ronda from The Family Table

No comments:

Post a Comment