Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ronda from ~ The Family Table, brings us "Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole"

Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole


Here is a tried and true breakfast casserole. It has been around for ages and you may have a family variation that you love. As I mentioned in my last post, I am preparing for Thanksgiving week. Stocking the freezer with casseroles and tea breads that can be pulled out on those mornings that I need to feed a crowd. This casserole can be cooked ahead of time or you can freeze it uncooked. I am cooking and freezing mine to save time. 

First I usually decide which pans I want to use. This time I made two small squares and an oval so I went with the larger proportion of ingredients. I spray them all with cooking spray and divide the bread to the three pans. Then I divide the sausage and the cheese. Then I top the casseroles with the egg mixture. If I am making one large casserole dish, I go with the smaller ingredient list. It is a pretty forgiving casserole and you can add mushrooms, onions or any other tasty ingredients you want. If you think you need more eggs, just crack a few more and add a little more milk. No worries. Make this casserole work for you. 

Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole


1- 1½ lb Sausage 

12-18 eggs, lightly beaten 

3-4 cups milk 

2-3 teaspoons dry mustard 

1 – 1½ teaspoon salt 

1 loaf cubed bread 

2-3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese 

1/2-3/4 teaspoon black pepper 


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 F. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well.
  2. Distribute the bread into the pan(s).  Sprinkle with sausage, cheese and then pour egg mixture evenly over casserole.
  3. Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.
  4. Serve immediately or let cool completely. Wrap well in saran and food saver casserole. Thaw overnight and reheat foil wrapped casserole at 300 until warm.
Happy Cooking,
Ronda from The Family Table

No comments:

Post a Comment