Thursday, December 6, 2012

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…Jesus points the way", with Stacy A. Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member


Family Time…Jesus points the way



Ready, set, go! The race of the Christmas season is off! December is always such a mix of joy and sadness. There is joy for the amazing blessings of celebrating Jesus and family and friends...and sadness at the crazy pace and disappointment when the shopping craze turns into a holiday nightmare. At times, I have been so disappointed at the behavior of either myself or others in dealing with traffic, shopping lines or waiting your turn. It can be a struggle to keep a good attitude. So how do you keep your heart's attitude right during this busy time? Keep following Jesus’ example. This month’s family time topic from the “Sky Ranch Family Devotional: Follow the Leader” is on “Jesus is God's Servant“ and the weekly discussion is on “Jesus serves by explaining God, so point the way, too.“ The scriptures this week tell you that Jesus was sent to give you understanding...to explain God, the Father, to you so that you can have a relationship with Him. Your job is to believe Jesus, and if you believe Him, then you can know you believe God, the Father. The end result will be a lifestyle that points to Jesus too.

As a Mom, I found it difficult to be a good role model during Christmas shopping. I was glad my kids were often in school and not with me, in case my attitude was bad. I don't like to shop anyway and I really don't like to shop at Christmas. But I like everyone else feel that the family traditions are important, so I do my part to make sure that our family participated. Throughout the years, I did find that I had plenty of opportunities at Christmas to talk to my kids about my relationship with Jesus and how it helped me. I would share my frustrating experiences with my family about my shopping adventures as teachable moments. I often explained the many times that I would stop, pray and think...then react with a good outcome. Those were the good moments. And the other times that I would just react with a bad outcome. Those were the bad moments. Notice the difference? It made a difference in the heat of the moment if I stopped, prayed and took a minute to think or if I didn't. I found it really helped my kids to see that difference. I found it was helpful to teach my kids that girls really need to stop, pray and think before they act with words or it could lead to a verbal fight. Girls have to watch their words.  For boys that they really need to stop, pray and think before they act with actions or it could lead to a physical fight. Boys really need to watch their actions. I would tell them that when my behavior was good, I was pointing the way to Jesus for other people. And the reverse is true too...when I am bad; I lead others away from Jesus.  Others do see a difference when your response to a situation is not the normal crazy response. It can cause an interest in Jesus when you act in kindness or peacefully.

This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying for your family and asking God to show you if your family’s actions reflect a true belief in Jesus. It may be subtle, but if you really trust Jesus, there will be a change in behavior. You will see a desire to control your words or actions to keep the peace and share God’s kindness. Pray for God to make a difference in all of your hearts so that others will eventually see the evidence of a changed life that follows Jesus. 

Do you have questions or need prayer for your family? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy
Stacy A. Davis
Sky Ranch Family Devotionals and
Teach Intentionally Author


This week we are in the 3rd  Topic and 14th   Family Time (or page  32) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Follow the Leader”…
Family Time 14: 
Topic 3: Jesus was sent as God’s Servant…Jesus serves by explaining God, so point the way, too
Talk with God: Read…Scriptures and questions below.
1 John 5:20  (about Jesus)  And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding, in order that we might know Him who is true, and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
  • In 1 John 5:20, when Jesus came to earth, what did He give?

John 6:29  Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”
  • In John 6:29, what is your work?

John 12:44  And Jesus cried out and said, “He who believes in Me does not believe in Me, but in Him who sent Me.  45 And he who beholds Me beholds the One who sent Me.”
  • In John 12:44, when you believe in Jesus, who are you also believing?

Walk with God: Discuss… We start with a simple job…believe in Jesus. When you believe Jesus, you believe God. Once you believe, you will follow Him which will lead to a lifestyle of serving Him. This godly lifestyle happens because Jesus gives you understanding. What is meant by the phrase  “Jesus gives understanding?” How does Jesus give you understanding of God?
Prayer suggestion…  Pray for help understanding God.

Family Time 14: 
Leader Answers:
  • Understanding of the True God
  • Believe Jesus
  • God the Father
  • Discussion ideas: John 1:18 tells us that Jesus has explained God. And John 12:45 tells us that anyone who beholds (acknowledges) Jesus is beholding (acknowledging) God. Jesus points the way to the One True God and says in John 14:6, “I am the way, truth, life and no one comes to the Father, but through Me.” This True God is the only One who provides eternal life. Do you point the way for others? How?
© 2012 Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment