Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…The Family Calendar", with Stacy Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member

Family Time…The Family Calendar



People tell me that I am organized. But I have to admit that I was not born that way. I was born much more laid back and less structured. But, I grew up the oldest in a large family and at times it was crazy with all the people. My Mom, bless her, did a great job just trying to keep up with all of us. But if I did not learn to cope by organizing myself, I would have been very lost. So, at a fairly young age, l learned to use a calendar for myself and of course, it was the old fashioned paper calendar that I still see many Moms using today.  As life went on and I married, had kids, worked part time, volunteered with organizations, led a women’s bible study, ran kids from school to multiple activities, there were days that I literally could not keep up with everything. I had become overscheduled. I would often pray asking God to show me the most important things to accomplish and help me do them and He did. I eventually learned to lighten my load and find the right balance for me and the kids.
Even though I had learned to use a calendar and pray personally, I saw that as my kids aged and our family schedule grew more complicated that it would be handy to have a master calendar that tracked everyone’s activities in one spot. So, I went to the local office supply store and found a calendar that worked to track everyone and yes…it is still paper, but you can find electronic versions. I began using it and even tried color coding it for each family member.  After seeing how much that helped our family, we often included it in our weekly family time discussions and used the information to pray for my husband if he needed to travel or to pray for a someone if it looked impossible for them to handle everything in a very busy week.
This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by looking at how your family handles organizing your schedule. God is a God of order and He wants us to have order in our lives as well. At times, your family schedule may create a lot of stress and seem impossible, but remember nothing is impossible for God (Matthew 19:26). God will lead you and show you how to either eliminate or add things to balance your family life. Also, pray for each child and ask God to show you are they either over scheduled or under-scheduled. Then, talk to your kids and listen to them. But also use your Mom intuition…sometimes the quieter child, won’t speak up, but really does want to have some activity in their life verses the high-energy child, keeps wanting to add more and dominates your activity driving time so other kids are left out. Pray for God to help you teach your kids about keeping things in moderation and living peacefully. 
If you have questions, email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy Davis
Click the link below for your free copy of the Sky Ranch “Open your Eyes” Family Devotional … 
This week we are in the 3rd month and 2nd week (or page 30) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Open Your Eyes”…
Family Time 2:
Month 3 Topic: God can do anything because God made everything…God’s calendar/your calendar
Talk with God: Read…Matthew 19:26, Genesis 1:14
~ Matthew 19:26   And looking upon [them] Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
In Matt 19:26, what things are possible with God?
~ Genesis 1:14  Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years.”
In Gen 1:14, why did God make the lights in the heavens?
Walk with God: Discuss… Did you catch that? God made the lights in the heavens as signs to track the seasons, days and years. It is a form of a calendar. But it is a God-sized calendar which only He could do. God likes order and planning. He has created an orderly world. We should imitate Him in our lives. Do you as a family have a group calendar? As kids age, it can be very helpful. What value is there in planning ahead?
Prayer suggestion… Pray for God’s direction and wisdom to make changes to your family schedule.
Family Time 2: 
Leader Answers:
All
To separate the day from the night and for signs, seasons, days, years
Discussion ideas: Families need a main calendar that tracks events for the group.  A paper calendar works well in a central place so everyone can see it. A weekly family time is a great place to discuss events and communicate with the group. It can keep life more peaceful, especially if you notice things getting too busy.  Then try cancelling events; if not active enough, try scheduling more to do.  Find the balance of activity that is right for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment