Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…God’s Good News", with Stacy Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member

Family Time…God’s Good News
I hope that you had a Merry Christmas and as you prepare for family time, the topic of God’s good news goes well with the season this week! God’s good news or the gospel is something that I grew up hearing about a lot. But like many “church” words, I did not really know what the gospel actually meant. I would hear it said to share the gospel, but my thought was…I have no idea what I am supposed to share. Even though the church is all about spreading the gospel, it is interesting that in church the word gospel is often not very defined. It is just assumed that everyone knows what it means. Later in bible study classes as an adult, I learned that I actually knew the gospel all along. I just did not connect the name “the gospel or the good news” as simply telling about Jesus’ birth, death on the cross, resurrection and the message of how those actions impacted each person who believes Jesus is their personal Lord and Savior. It really was not a very hard concept. I just simply needed the word defined for me.
As a Mom, I found this lack of understanding the word “gospel” was evident in my own kids. One day during our family time, I just asked everyone in the family if they had any idea what “gospel” meant and if they could tell me. I just got blank looks and my kids even went to a private Christian school as well as church and I am a bible teacher. My kids were doing what I did.  I think in our culture, if we do not understand what a word means, it is common to just skip over it and not check it out. This is exactly what they were doing and not even giving it a second thought. Until the day that I asked…what is the gospel? Once I explained it to them and everyone said “Oh!”, they realized they really did know it. Then, each of us took turns sharing our testimony which includes sharing the good news of Jesus. Your testimony is simply telling your story of your life before knowing Jesus, your repentance, acceptance and belief in Jesus, and then the changed lifestyle afterwards that resulted.  For our family, we noticed that our testimony of the impact that Jesus has made in our lives is in constant process that keeps shaping. We are always learning and growing in our relationship with Jesus.
This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying for God to show you if your family needs more help understanding what the gospel is. Ask God to give you insight of what still needs to be taught and understood. Then pray for God’s direction for each family member as you ask God to guide saying your own testimony. Then in your family time this week, ask if each person can share the gospel and can share their testimony. At first, everyone will be reluctant. Everyone always makes it more difficult than it is and you just have to jump in there and stumble through it. It may help to write down a few notes about their life before knowing Jesus and their life after knowing Jesus. Sometimes if a family member does not see much evidence that believing Jesus has changed their lifestyle, it can be a great springboard into an individual conversation on why. Remind your family that sharing the gospel and forming how to say your testimony is a process and it is okay if it is still developing and shaping. Enjoy listening to your kids share their experiences and they will enjoy hearing you share yours.
Do you need help or prayer for your family time? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy Davis
Click the link below for your free copy of the Sky Ranch “Open your Eyes” Family Devotional … 
This week we are in the 4th  Month Topic and 4th  Family Time (or page  40) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Open Your Eyes”…
Family Time 4: 
Month 4 Topic: God is perfectly good…God’s good news
Talk with God: Read…Luke 2:10, Acts 8:12, 1 Corinthians 15:3-8
~ Luke 2:10  And the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you  good  news of a great joy which shall be for all the people;  (11)  for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.”
  • In Luke 2:10, what is the angel bringing to them?
~ Acts 8:12  But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike.
  • In Acts 8:12, what is Philip preaching?
~ 1 Corinthians 15:1, 3-8  (1) Now I make known  to  you, brethren,  the  gospel which I preached  to  you… (3) For I delivered  to  you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins  according   to the Scriptures,  (4)  and that He was buried, and that He was raised on  the  third day  according  to the Scriptures, (5)  and that He appeared  to  Cephas, then  to   the  twelve.  (6)  After that He appeared  to  more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;  (7)  then He appeared  to  James, then  to  all  the  apostles;  (8)  and last of all, as it were  to  one untimely born, He appeared  to  me also.
  • I Cor 15:1, 3-8, what is being preached?
Walk with God: Discuss… Do you know what the gospel is? Can you share it? It is God’s good news of hope to us. 1 Corinthians 15:1, 3-8, is a great summary of the gospel. As a family, practice saying it to each other and share the difference this good news of the gospel has made in your lives. Make a point to share it also with someone outside your family today.
Prayer suggestion… Pray that God will help you understand and share His good news.
Family Time 4: 
Leader Answers:
  • Good news
  • Good news
  • The gospel
  • Discussion ideas: Take turns struggling through saying the gospel. It can be awkward at first. Add to it your life before hearing the gospel and then the change after hearing it, and how God has worked in your life.  Then you will have your testimony to the positive change Jesus brings in a life. Some of your family may not see a change in their lives. Encourage them to keep praying and asking Jesus to show Himself to them. For some the change is gradual, it is a process and everyone’s pace is different; but it is important to note that you will see a good change if the belief in His Son, Jesus, is real.
© 2011 Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment