Thursday, December 8, 2011

This Season is the Best Ya’ll!~ from Guest Chrissie Dunham

This Season is the Best Ya’ll!




I love this season of the year.  Our family gathers around to watch football, we enjoy cooler weather, pumpkins depart, and Christmas tress arrive and the best eating and cooking of the year begin.  I love to pull out my recipes and cookbooks and start to dream about all of the traditional foods that we cook as a family, during this time of year, but I also like to look for new ideas.  
Gathering around the table has always been important to me.  First of all because I love to cook, but also this is one of the most important things we can do as families. Some of my most precious memories are from the dinner table. We all have hectic schedules and it seems that as the kids grow up, it gets harder and harder to find time to eat together as a family.  
My husband and I made a rule in our house as our children’s schedules started spinning out of control that every Sunday night, no matter what was going on, we would have dinner as a family.  Today my girls are 24 and 26 and guess who shows up every Sunday night for dinner…one is married with a 1- year - old boy and the other one is just got married.  Sunday nights are my favorite family times.
Start family traditions with your children.  They are so fun and the kids love traditions.  I promise that they will love it and who knows, they may still come around after they have left the nest.  
Some Sunday nights we cook breakfast for dinner.  I want to share a recipe that is one of our family favorites and it is so easy.  
Egg Strata
1 (8 count) can of refrigerated crescent rolls
1-pound mild breakfast sausage
1 (8 ounce) package cheddar cheese, shredded
7 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1-teaspoon celery salt
¼ cup ranch dressing
¼ cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.  Press crescent roll dough in pan to cover bottom.  Brown sausage in skillet and drain.  Layer sausage and cheese in prepared pan.  In bowl, combine and mix beaten eggs, dry mustard, celery salt ranch dressing and milk.  Pour over layers.  Bake 25-30 minutes.  Serves 12.
Enjoy this casserole and start creating memories today!  
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.” Psalm 127:3

Chrissie Dunham
Director of Women's Ministry
Prestonwood Dallas Campus


No comments:

Post a Comment