Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ronda from~ The Family Table, brings us "Simple Roast Chicken!"

The joy of simplicity. I love simple. As a matter of fact when life starts to spin out of control with too many obligations, the first thing I try to do is simplify. I think, like many of you, I can place more demands on myself than necessary. No where is this more true than in my kitchen. This week, with back to back tests, clinical shifts, baseball, basketball, homework etc, I have decided to rein it in and just focus on the basics in the kitchen. Tonight was my simple roast chicken. With only two ingredients in addition to the chicken, I don’t think it can get much simpler. 
Simple Roast Chicken
1 organic chicken
kosher salt
cornstartch
Line a dutch oven with foil and spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put chicken in roaster and sprinkle very generously with salt. Then, sprinkle with cornstarch. The outside of the chicken will be nice and white. You really want to make sure you are generous with the salt as this is the only flavoring on your chicken. Now pop it into the oven and roast for 15 minutes per pound or until the juices run clear. 





If you are feeling fancy, put a glug of white wine in the bottom of the pan, or stuff the cavity with a whole lemon that you have poked with holes. Toss a few garlic in there too. But the true joy is that this recipe, just the chicken, is delicious! It doesn’t need anything else! 
Let the chicken rest for about 10-15 minutes and then use an electric knife to carve. Slice the breast into very thin slices and you will have the most succulent, tasty goodness you can imagine! 
I try to get the biggest chicken I can, but it never seems big enough. The family just gobbles this bird up and they always say it is one of their favorite meals. The left overs are great over greens, made into chicken salad or just thrown in a tortilla with cheese and salsa. 
When I am really stressed, I will make a huge batch of mashed potatoes at the beginning of the week as a time saver. I then pick a few easy to roast veggies and dinner is on the table in a snap. 
For a quick gravy, Better Than Gravy Packets are very good and go great with this chicken and over the potatoes. If I have more time, I will use the drippings and make my own. But with such a good product, I love it to use it to round out this meal.
SkyMoms, I hope you all have a great week and would love to hear some of your very quick, easy meals!
Blessings and Happy Cooking! Ronda from The Family Table :)

No comments:

Post a Comment