Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ronda from~ The Family Table, brings us "Springtime Risotto with Lemon, Green Peas and Asparagus"!


It never fails, the end of the semester always brings a cold of some sort my way. I can almost pencil it in the calendar. With Spring fever in the air, it is hard to slow down enough to rest and heal. But listening to our bodies, when they beg for renewal, is the key to a quick turn around in our health. 
This nasty stuff started on Friday and I tried to pretend everything was just fine. I went to yoga, ran the kids to activities, studied a little bit and stayed up way to late. Saturday rolled around and it was more of the same. Rush, rush and more rush. I really thought it was allergies! It wasn’t until Mother’s Day, that I finally had to admit that I was sick. I crawled into bed and that is where I have been since. 
Once I allowed myself to stop, my body went into shut down mode and I fell fast asleep. I have slept off and on and finally, this afternoon (Tuesday), I am just starting to feel a little better. 
To me, sickness always calls for comfort food of some sort. I feel a body just can’t heal without something hearty to eat. We need something hot, something tasty and something nutritious. 
The only thing that fit that bill was my Springtime Risotto with Lemon, Green Peas and Asparagus. It is so comforting and tasty that you are sure to slip into a restorative sleep after eating dinner. 
Springtime Risotto with Lemon, Green Peas and Asparagus
3 T of extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 cups of arborio rice
3 cups white wine (chicken stock can be used if cooking with wine is not an option)
10-12 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
2 small bunches of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3rd
1 small pouch of green peas (1-2 cups)
lemon zest from 2 lemons
juice from 1 lemon
2 cups of grated Parmesan Cheese
2 T butter
salt and pepper to taste
In a large sauce pan, heat stock until at a low simmer. In a dutch oven, add olive oil and turn on heat to medium. Add onion and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent about 3-5 minutes. Add rice and stir until combined with onion. Add white wine and constantly stir until almost evaporated. Continue adding a cup of stock, stirring the whole time, until almost evaporated. You will notice the rice starting to plump. Continue adding a cup of stock at a time until rice is almost soft. Add vegetables and two cups of broth. Cook until vegetables are crisp tender and rice is soft. Add final cup of stock, Parmesan cheese, zest, lemon juice and butter. Stir until combined and broth absorbed. Risotto should be very creamy looking. Serve in big bowls with lemon zest for garnish.


onion and rice before wine or chicken stock

YUMMY!




I love this dish just how it is, but it can also be served with a big salad or as a side dish.  This dish fed five of us as a hearty main dish with a little left over for the next day.
Happy Cooking!
Love, Ronda from The Family Table

No comments:

Post a Comment