Thursday, March 12, 2015

Boundaries - Lisa Clark




I'm writing this blog while sitting on the beach with my youngest. So I take this opportunity to ask her a few questions. What do you feel like has helped you most in your life establish roots in your faith? She answers with the obvious:  family, church, friends who shares my same values, school. But then she said "and boundaries."  "Boundaries in my home life and school life helped mold and shape me."  I like that answer.

I grew up in a Christian home. But when my parents divorced not only did my dad leave the home but all boundaries left with him. At 15 years of age I needed boundaries more than probably any other time in my life. No boundaries. No problem? Wrong. Boundaries give us direction. Otherwise the road is too broad and our sinful nature will automatically take us down the wrong way path. I can't tell you the number of times in my adult life I've thanked God I had the Holy Spirit guiding me through those boundary-less years. It could have been a lot worse.


Our kids will resist boundaries. Stand strong. The more you say "no" when they're young will enable you to say "yes" as they mature, make good choices, and become trustworthy. All of us need boundaries. We never stop needing boundaries. There is freedom for all of us as we learn to live within God's best for our lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment