Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Competitivness and Humility - SkyMom Daisy Greek


What I learned about myself while playing a board game at 
Sky Ranch Family Camp     

                             
Four years ago, our family went to Sky Ranch family camp for the first time.  (I could write a book about how totally awesome it is, and why everyone should go, but this is about a game that taught a life lesson and the growth that came as a result) 

Nights at family camp are fun! They are what my ideal home nightlife would be: technology free and filled with communication, interaction, learning, and new experiences. It was one of those nights at camp - our family was introduced to a board game called Jokers and Marbles. I immediately thought I had an advantage because it was similar to the old game (WaHoo) I grew up playing.  

Our two older boys, my husband, Steven, myself, and four other people played. Steven is a coach so it's in him to be competitive. But on this night we had to play as individuals; after all, we were still learning the game. Steven doesn't normally like to play board games. They aren't physically challenging, so they aren't as appealing to him. But he is still competitive. We happened to casually know a few of the people we were playing with, so the competitive "trash talking" was at a minimum. In the course of playing, some things were said, by me, toward my husband that was not kind. I made him feel disrespected in front of strangers and people we knew, not to mention our kids. They may not recall anything unusual happening, but I did. I could feel my husband's glare from across the table. I may have won the game, but I had lost a different kind of battle. My conscience wouldn't stop talking in my head.  It was actually the Holy Spirit gently whispering. But I was silent on the outside. If you are married, you know the silence I speak of. We played a game that brought out my true sinful nature. It was ugly. 

Later, I was reading in Ephesians 5 and pondered about my love for my husband and my kids.   I was reminded of how in marriage, “two become one.”  After that board game, we felt like two again!  (That’s what happens when two strong-willed, stubborn people fall in love.) We have bumps in the road. Even with all our imperfections, the Lord, in His tenderness, is able to remind us through His Holy Spirit that we are on the same team.

I remember playing basketball in Jr. high and high school. In our love of the game, and competitive spirit, we would sometimes grab the ball and fight for it while a teammate did the same.  Then our teammates would yell, “Same team!  Same team!”  I love that!  The aggression and passion for the game is contagious!

As a couple, we have the same love for the game of life, sometimes, we go at each other, and we have to stop and remind ourselves we are on the same team! That night I felt the need to apologize to my husband for my competitive nature. While being competitive is good, it has to be contained, and always under the submission of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

We made up. Though it is not always fun, it is always good when we are willing to humble ourselves, admit our faults and work on becoming a better version of ourselves with the help of the Holy Spirit.


Dear Lord, Thank you for reminding me in your perfect timing and perfect will, that your ways are not our ways.  Your thoughts are not our thoughts. Help my thoughts and my ways to become more like yours, every day. Be the center of my marriage, so my husband and I can be a team for our children. We want to raise them to make an impact for their generation. Help us to impact them by being a team in our marriage. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment