Monday, January 30, 2012

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…Belief in God affects lifestyle", with Stacy Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member

Family Time…Belief in God affects lifestyle

When I was 4, I prayed the salvation prayer committing to Jesus…then when I was 8, I did it again as well as each summer until I was 13, you would think it actually stuck one of those time…but did it? There was no change in my lifestyle. After each time that I prayed the salvation prayer, I went right back to my same old routine of no thought of Jesus until the next Sunday. My lifestyle still reflected all my normal habits of lying and misbehaving without giving it a second thought. Overtime, my parent’s discipline helped self-control kick in and correct some of the behavior. But it was still all about me in control. Then the teenage years hit and I was just a normal teen and not overly rebellious. I still went to church on Sunday with my family. I was not opposed to Jesus and things about Jesus, but no personal relationship with Him.  I thought following Jesus was good for people to do but didn’t think about if I was. I also secretly kept questioning whether or not I really believed in Jesus because I really had no interest in reading or studying the Bible or seeking Christian fellowship. I prayed occasionally if I thought that God could help me out or serve my purposes. And I often gave God a list of what I expected. But I definitely did not think of thanking Him, asking how I could help Him or serving Him. Does any of this sound familiar?  As a young, newly married adult, I recognized that my way of living life seemed empty and vain, so one day, I finally surrendered the control of my life over to Jesus and committed to follow Him. I had a 1 year old child and was pregnant with my second child and realized that I needed God’s help to raise these kids. I had previously been living life without Jesus and I was finally ready to trust Him. And “Jesus took the wheel” as the song goes. I actually believed in Jesus this time. Amazingly and right away, I started to want to know Jesus better. I knew some about Him, but the Holy Spirit was drawing me to want to know more. I eventually got into a great Bible study class, and by applying what I learned from the Bible I started to change. My attitude, behavior and sinful habits eventually moved to just occasional mistakes and I immediately felt remorse for the sin and would ask forgiveness. Some of this took time but my heart was softening and changing. I also sought Christian friends and to serve Him. Life had really changed. I really changed and others around me noticed it. My true belief in Jesus did affect my lifestyle.
As a Mom, I watched both of my kids repeat a similar story. Multiple times of saying the salvation prayer and then all the sudden in God’s timing, the belief was really real and a change began to take place. I eventually saw a different demeanor in each child over a little time. I saw a desire to talk about and know Jesus. I saw a change in how they treated each other, my husband and me. They were changing and this was not just really strong self-control, it was supernatural from the Holy Spirit.
This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying and asking God to tell you what your family needs to hear on the topic of genuine belief in Jesus. Biblical belief is defined as making a firm commitment that results in a change of direction. It is a decision in your heart and mind. If your kids struggle with questioning if they truly believe in Jesus, recognize that can be normal. Encourage them to share their thoughts on their faith and search their own hearts. As Mom, you can’t answer this for them. Encourage your family to be patient with themselves, and know that a true relationship with Jesus is an ongoing process that takes time. Keep seeking Him and you will find Him!
Do you need help or prayer for your family time? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy
Stacy A. Davis
Teach Intentionally
This week we are in the 5th  Month Topic and 5th  Family Time (or page 49) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Open Your Eyes”…
Family Time 5: 
Month 5 Topic: There is only one God…Belief in God affects lifestyle
Talk with God: Read…Deuteronomy 4:35, Deuteronomy 4:39
~ Deuteronomy 4:35 To you it was shown that you might know that the Lord, He is God; there is no other besides Him.
  • In Deuteronomy 4:35, whom does the Lord want to know that there is no other god beside Him?
~ Deuteronomy 4:39 Know therefore today, and take it to your heart, that the Lord, He is God in Heaven above and on the earth below; there is no other.
  • In Deuteronomy 4:39, when do we need to trust that the God of Heaven and earth is the only God?
Walk with God: Discuss… Have you really taken it to your heart that there is only ONE God?  How does your life reflect that in your everyday lifestyle?  What are some things you can do to show that you KNOW HIM?
Prayer suggestion… Pray that you truly take to heart that you know and believe the One True God!
Family Time 5: 
Leader Answers:
  • YOU
  • Today
  • Discussion ideas: Examples are spending time with Him (prayer), reading His Word, studying Him and making changes inside of you as to living the way He says. Other examples are serving Him by helping the needy, encouraging others, discipling another, talking about Him, donating to ministry, cleaning a yard for a homebound person, etc.  How does it make you feel to know that the One True God wants to know and love you?
© 2011 Tori Miller and Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment