Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…Recognizing the One True God", with Stacy Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member

Family Time…Recognizing the One True God



When I was young, I did not really question if there was a God who is the Creator.  My parents explained to me that He existed and with a child-like faith, I believed them. My parents also taught me that there were other “so-called” gods but they were fake and the only True God had the Son Jesus. Again, I believed them with child-like faith. It was never really a struggle for me. When I enter college, I was required to study other religions because of my degree in College. I began to have exposure to these other “so-called” gods and I could still clearly see that the only True God is the One who has the Son Jesus. There are some really strange religions out there and it is obvious something is wrong with their beliefs. But there are other religions that are more subtle and it is harder to detect the problems that expose the false god, but God’s Holy Spirit can help you see them if you ask. I had no difficulty recognizing the One True God, but for many people belief is not so easy for them.
As a Mom, my son easily accepted biblical training on God. But my daughter, as young as 5 years old, did question if any God even existed. As a bible teacher, I understood this questioning is normal and even healthy and that each of us needs to be able to answer this question for ourselves. As a Mom, instead of panic, I embraced this moment as an opportunity. I realized that if she could prove God’s existence to herself, her faith would be stronger. It was tempting to push and use guilt to convince her, but I am glad that I waited it out and did not make her feel badly for questioning God’s existence. It took a lot of conversations and answering questions before she finally was convinced around the age of 12. One of the biggest turning points for her was the evidence of creation itself. Creation was so amazing to her and she saw that God had to exist in order to create it. Another strong piece of evidence for my daughter is that she saw the different lifestyles of Christians and non-Christians when she changed schools and left the Christian environment.  She noticed the difference in her peer’s behavior when God was missing from their lives.
This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying and asking God if anyone in your family struggles with truly accepting the existence of God and ask for God to give you the insight of how to talk to your family and say the message that is needed to help them.  Then after you have worked thru this week’s family time, ask your family to share how they explain “who is God?” to themselves. If anyone questions God’s existence, don’t panic, instead see it as an opportunity and walk alongside them as they ask themselves questions about God. Each person really does need to struggle thru this question and successfully settle the issue in their own minds but it may take time. Of course, turn to scripture for any additional help. God actually speaks a lot on this topic in the Old Testament in particular. If your family thinks that they really do recognize the One True God as the One they trust in their life, praise them for choosing well and encourage them to continue to trust Him all of their lives!
Do you need help or prayer for your family time? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy Davis
Click the link below for your free copy of the Sky Ranch “Open your Eyes” Family Devotional … 
This week we are in the 5th  Month Topic and 1st  Family Time (or page 45) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Open Your Eyes”…
Family Time 1:
Month 5 Topic: There is only one God…Recognizing the One True God
Talk with God: Read… Isaiah 44:6, Isaiah 45:21-22
~ Isaiah 44:6  Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and His redeemer the LORD of hosts; “I am the first, and I am the last; and beside Me there is no God.”
  • In Isaiah 44:6, is there any other God besides the Lord?
~ Isaiah 45:21-22 Declare and set forth your case; indeed, let them consult together. Who has announced this from of old? Who has long since declared it? Is it not I, the Lord? And there is no other God besides Me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none except Me. (22) Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.
  • In Isaiah 45:21-22, turn to who to be saved?
Walk with God: Discuss…There is no other God. The Lord of hosts is God. He alone saves us. He is righteous. He is the first and the last.  Have you ever wondered if there are other gods or is God? Do you know someone who believes a different god? What convinced you that the Lord of hosts is the only True God?
Family Time 1: 
Month 5 Topic: There is only one God
Leader Answers:
  • No
  • God
  • Discussion ideas: This is a difficult truth to explain to someone at all, but even harder to explain to someone who does not regard God’s Word, the Bible. Many religions make claims, but God tells us that Jesus is the Way to Him…the One True God. With tough subjects like this, always pray and ask for God’s direction as the issue is discussed. Pray with your friend and ask God to show them…He will.
Prayer suggestion… Pray that you would recognize the One True God.
© 2011 Tori Miller and Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment