Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…God does not lie", with Stacy Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member

Family Time…God does not lie

As a kid, I lied. Did you? I learned pretty quickly that with lying I got what I wanted. If I wanted candy before dinner and my Mom did not want me to have it, I learned to eat it any way and tell her that I didn’t have any. I got what I wanted and nobody got hurt, right? My family called those “white lies”. They were the little lies that did not seem to hurt anyone so there was no harm in telling them. I continued to tell those well into early adulthood. But once I became a Christian, lying is one of the first things that God convicted me on. I saw that it grieved God. God personally does not lie at all and He told me not to lie at all in scripture. God wants us to be truthful and honest. So, when I did lie, I began to recognize the guilt that I felt from even the “white lies”.  I realized there really is no such thing as a “white lie”, instead I saw there are lies and there is truth. It did take a while to change, it was a process with God’s Holy Spirit helping me. But once I started telling the truth and stopped the lying, my conscience was much happier and I felt freedom from the guilt of lying. Plus, it was much simpler to just remember the truth instead of all the lies. Life was much easier.
As a Mom, I learned quickly that I did not have to teach my kids to lie. They understood that all by themselves instantly if it got them out of trouble. It was a little disheartening to see my kids so young and willing to lie. But I did understand that it was human nature to lie. And I knew God’s teaching was  to train my kids not to lie. So, to encourage telling the truth, if I caught my kids lying and they confessed and told the truth, then they received a lighter punishment than they would have because they did the right thing. I made a point to tell them all about it so they knew they were rewarded for the truth. I think training your kids to speak truth and not lies is one of the more challenging areas of parenting. It takes a lot of time and is a long process of repeatedly encouraging truth. But worth it to hang in there.
This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying and asking for guidance on the best way to present this important lesson. Kids and adults many times do not see anything wrong with lying. Pray for God to give you insight on your own convictions on lying and your family’s convictions. God tells you that He alone is sovereign and creates calamity to test you. God puts you in difficult situations, because in those moments, you discover who you really are and what you really think. Encourage your family to be honest within themselves. When they are in those tough moments, how do they respond? Do they lie to get out of it? What would happen if the truth was told? Challenge your family with thoughts on…does your lying reflect a lack of trust in God? Encouraging your family to understand that God is sovereign and in charge of all things. This can be a difficult teaching for them to accept. It is common to ask…how can a loving God allow bad things to happen? There are other biblical teachings that help you understand God’s plans. For example, God sees the big picture in life and sometimes it can be impossible for you to see it. God knows more than you and I do.  Isaiah 55:9 tells you that God’s ways are higher than your ways and His thoughts are higher than yours. So, even though you may not understand why God has allowed a bad situation, it is important to trust Him in it and tell the truth even if there are consequences for telling the truth. God tells you in Proverbs 12:2 that a good man will obtain favor from the Lord. Trust Him.
Do you need help or prayer for your family time? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy Davis






Click the link below for your free copy of the Sky Ranch “Open your Eyes” Family Devotional … 








This week we are in the 5th  Month Topic and 2nd  Family Time (or page 46) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Open Your Eyes”…
Family Time 2:  
Month 5 Topic: There is only one God…God does not lie
Talk with God: Read…John 17:3, Isaiah 45:5, Titus 1:2
~ John 17:3  This is life eternal, that they might know You the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.
  • In John 17:3, what kind of God is our God called?
~ Isaiah 45:5  I am the Lord, and there is no   other; besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; (6) that men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun that there is  no  One besides Me. I am the Lord, and there is no other, (7) the One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all. 
  • Is 45:55, what kinds of things does our God do?
~ Titus 1:2   In the hope of eternal life, which God, Who cannot lie , promised long ages ago, these.
  • In Titus 1:2, God can do everything but one thing, what?
Walk with God: Discuss… What is the opposite of TRUE?  False!
God is saying that He is truthful. And we see that God cannot lie about it. What is the witness that He is the only God?
Prayer suggestion… Pray that God will open your eyes to the One True God.
Family Time 2: 
Leader Answers:
  • Only True God
  • Formed light, created darkness, causes well-being, creates calamity
  • Lie
  • Discussion ideas: God is sovereign over creation. Romans 1:20 says that God gives us creation as a witness that He alone is God. God’s ability to cause things good or bad to happen is another witness that He alone is God. What else shows you He is God?
© 2011 Tori Miller and Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment