Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ronda from~ The Family Table, brings us "Maple Walnut Muffins"!

...somehow this blog post got lost in "blog space" somewhere, never posted (but I thought it did... and just came back ...


I can’t tell a lie... I have a big time weakness for baked goods. Especially homemade baked goods. I haven’t written about this before because I am trying so very hard not to bake. Baked goods and losing weight do not go hand in hand. But, because I also believe in moderation, I baked today! Boy did it feel good. There is something so meditative about baking. Pouring, measuring, mixing...Then the way the house smells; amazing.
Even though it is Spring in Northern California, we are having a cold, rainy Springbreak. Not the beach going, pool hopping week I was hoping for, but still a break. We have all been sleeping in way too late, and today we didn’t have breakfast until noon...big smile from me.... 
With the chill in the air and the late start, everyone needed a little comfort. Out came one of my all time favorite books, Sarabeth’s Bakery by Sarabeth Levine. This book is full of yumminess. I have been wanting to try the Maple Walnut Muffins for quite a while. First, it isn’t your everyday muffin.  Second, the combination of maple and walnut just sounds comforting doesn’t it? And lastly, I had all of the ingredients on hand so that sealed the deal. 
There isn’t a recipe that I don’t tweak in some way to make my own. I never follow a recipe to the letter and I think that is a piece of advice I’d give to any novice cook. Don’t be afraid to put your own unique spin on things. 
Maple Walnut Muffins
adapted from Sarabeth’s Bakery by Sarabeth Levine
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup, Grade B 
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk at room temp
1 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine maple syrup, melted butter and buttermilk into another bowl. Whisk in the egg and egg yolk. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just mixed. Stir in walnuts. Portion batter to muffin tin that has been coated with cooking spray. 
******Bake for 10 minutes then REDUCE OVEN TEMP to 375 degrees and bake until top of muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean, about 10 minutes more. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then serve with softened butter and a nice big cup of coffee :)




Love and Blessings from
Ronda at The Family Table

No comments:

Post a Comment