Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…God is your daily Guide", with Stacy Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member


Family Time…God is your daily Guide
Do you ever feel like you are running around in circles? Or are you so over-scheduled that your mind seems fuzzy with no clear direction? When I was a young Mom life was very busy and I often found myself feeling frazzled, but God tells you in scripture that life doesn’t have to feel like this. Life can feel focused and directed. This month the topic is still on God’s guidance and care for you and this week looks at God as a daily Guide. In Psalm 31, if you turn to God, He promises to lead and guide you and in Proverb 6, He tells you how…the solution is in God’s teaching that is passed on from a father and mother to their children. Did you see that? God wants you to pass on His Words to your kids. He did not list a person at the church or a friend to train your child. He knows the very best person to teach your kids… is YOU!
When my kids were young, they went to Sunday school and I reinforced the church’s teaching at home. I valued the teaching my kids received at church. But when my kids moved into middle school, they both suddenly refused to go to the middle school program at church. Both felt they did not know the kids and felt like outsiders; claiming that everyone went to other schools. So in order to prevent ”world war III” and not turn my kids away from the church by forcing them to go to class, my husband and I compromised and allowed them to join us in the main church service and I began teaching them at home with a family bible study. Our family started having weekly family times from fifth grade and has continued to this day, the impact has been huge! Family time has given us a platform to introduce important scripture topics and apply it to their personal lives, and it has often been a springboard into much deeper conversations. At the end of lower school, kids often stop talking to their parents and my kids were beginning to do that too. But God used the family time to open up conversations. There were struggles and bad attitudes during family time at first. But that did not stop our family time and I kept praying for my family, consistently meeting and over time bonding started to happen. My kids did eventually return to the church youth groups in high school, but we still continued the family time at home as well.
This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying for your family and asking God to show you if your kids struggle with recognizing God as their daily Guide in life. Ask God to give you understanding of how to keep the family conversations open and trusting. Ask God to be a daily Guide and to teach you so can teach them. Pray that God will give you clear focus and direction for your family. Ask God to help you show your family that God is your daily Guide and He can be their daily Guide too. Allow God to be your source of direction and your kids will follow your example. Ask your family if they ever have confusion on making big or little decisions. If there is confusion, teach your kids to begin each day with a short prayer that asks God to direct the day and help them. God wants you to ask for His help, even if you think you have it all figured out. Encourage your family to recognize how God guides you each day and thank Him for it!
Do you need help or prayer for your family time? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy
Stacy A. Davis
Teach Intentionally
This week we are in the 8th   Month Topic and  4th  Family Time (or page  72) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Open Your Eyes”…
Family Time 4: 
Month 8 Topic: God is my Heavenly Father Who guides and cares for me…Daily guide
Talk with God: Read…Psalm 31:3, Proverbs 6:20-22
~ Psalm 31:3   For You are my rock and my fortress; for Your name’s sake You will lead me and guide me.
  • In Ps 31:3, what will God do?
~ Proverbs 6:20-22  (20) My son, observe the commandment of your father, and do not forsake the teaching of your mother; (21) bind them continually on your heart; tie them around your neck. (22) When you walk about, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk to you.
  • In Prov 6:20-22, what has been given to us as a daily guide in life?
Walk with God: Discuss… What do we as believers have to help us and guide us?  How does God’s Word help us? Give examples from Scripture that have helped guide you.
Prayer suggestion… Pray for you to decrease so He can increase and be your guide.  Pray that you will move out of the way and totally rely on Him for guidance in your life.
Family Time 4: 
Leader Answers:
  • Lead; guide
  • Commandments (His Word); teaching
  • Discussion ideas: How about Exodus 20, the Ten Commandments? The Book of Proverbs tells about questionable people to watch out for. Revelation 1-3 divides the real Christian from the fake Christian. There is insight to guide us in every book of the Bible.
© 2011 Tori Miller and Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment