Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…Shepherd that leads", with Stacy Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member

Family Time…Shepherd that leads




Where does God lead you? The Family Time focus this week is still on “God guides and cares for you” In Matthew 7:13 &14, it speaks of a wide gate and a narrow gate; one way is right and the other way is wrong. Acts 13:10 tells you that evil tries to make crooked the straight ways of the Lord which shows that God  encourages the right direction in life and Satan is often trying to get you off course and going the wrong direction. It matters who you are listening to. God leads you in the right way to live out your life. But where do you find God’s message for the right direction in life? Psalms 119:105 tells you that God’s Word is a light to your feet and it will guide you to the right path. Scripture is the key! Sharing God’s Word with your family is like handing them a light that will help them see the right way to live life.
As a Mom, I have a long list of mistakes that I made. Everything from my personal blunders to parenting blunders. I did not become a true follower of Jesus until I was an adult, so that left a lot of time for wandering around lost in childhood. I often wondered…where is the guidebook that gives me directions to living life? I searched books, magazines, and anything that gave directions or tips for life. All along, I actually had a copy of “the key” in my room…but did not understand what it was! God gave us the Bible and it is our guidebook that leads us to Him and it leads us in the right direction for life too. But…you do have to pick it up and read it for it to help you! Many people need an organized setting to keep them consistently reading scripture such as a Bible study class. Know yourself…I learned that I need the structure and I even need to teach it to help me really pay attention. I have found that if you teach it, you will usually learn the more than anyone there and it will be a blessing for you.
This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying for your family’s lifestyles. Ask God to reveal to you if anyone is walking on a crooked path, meaning in a way that God tells you is wrong. Often taking the wrong direction begins with a very subtle drifting away from God and the next thing you know, you are really off course from the right direction. Ask God to reveal if anyone is beginning to drift. Encourage your family to stay engaged in your Family Times and even study scripture in their alone time. Encourage conversation on things they have discovered as they study on their own. Help your group recognize where they get advice for life. Is it from friends, TV, music or God? Sometimes in discussions focusing on basic beliefs, you might find outside influences are really affecting your lifestyles. Stop and evaluate those influences, are they from God or Satan? Help your family recognize if they are on a crooked or straight path and if it is not where they want to be…pray and trust God to get you back on course.
Do you need help or prayer for your family time? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy
Stacy A. Davis
Teach Intentionally
This week we are in the  8th Month Topic and 2nd   Family Time (or page  70) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Open Your Eyes”…
Family Time 2:
Month 8 Topic: God is my Heavenly Father Who guides and cares for me…Shepherd that leads
Talk with God: Read…Psalm 23:1-3
~ Psalm 23:1-3  (A Psalm of David) The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.  (2)  He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.  (3)  He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
  • In Ps 23:1-3, what does God do? 
Walk with God: Discuss… Who is a shepherd? 
A. A pastor is a shepherd to the church.
B. An elder or deacon is a shepherd within the body.
C. A husband is a shepherd to his wife.
D. Parents are shepherds to their children.
E. A teacher is a shepherd to his students.
F. An employer is a shepherd his employees.
G. An older child is a shepherd to his younger brothers and sisters.
H. Anyone who in any way leads anyone is a shepherd who is responsible for the care of another.
Prayer suggestion… Pray that the Lord show you who your sheep are and how you are a shepherd.  Ask the Lord to show you who you can shepherd.
Family Time 2: 
Leader Answers:
  • Provides rest, food, water; restores; guides rightly
  • Discussion ideas: All are a form of a shepherd.  Use these examples to discuss how you have been shepherded or shepherded someone else.
© 2011 Tori Miller and Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment