Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ronda from ~ The Family Table, brings us "Smothered Chili Colorado Beef Burritos and more Food Saver tips!"


Are you ready for a great tasting meal? Then add this one to the rotation as soon as possible. This is a knock your socks off kind of taste. As a matter of fact, I really had to peel the fork from my fingers or I would have wiped out the whole pan. 

Smothered Chili Colorado Beef Burritos
adapted from the blog Food Pusher found on Pinterest

2 pound chuck roast
1 1/2 Tablespoons Better Than Broth: Beef (don’t use canned broth, it will ruin sauce)
1 14 oz can enchilada sauce (mild, medium or spicy depending on your taste)
mashed up pinto beans (make a fresh pot or use a preservative free can)
shredded cheddar cheese (not from a bag, shred it yourself if you want it to melt better)
flour tortillas (burrito size, homemade if you want an over the top meal)
cilantro
white onions, diced
avocado slices (allow 1/2 avocado per person)
tortilla chips


Place chuck roast into the crockpot, pour the can of enchilada sauce over the beef. Add the Better Than Broth: Beef. As the roast cooks, the Better Than Broth will melt into and mix with the enchilada sauce. Cook on low for 7 hours. About halfway through, flip the beef over. 

When beef is done cooking, remove to a cutting board and shred the beef, removing any fatty pieces. Put beef into a bowl and mix with a little bit of sauce just to moisten.  
 
                                                                                                  (sauce after taking out beef)

Lay a burrito size flour tortilla on a plate. Add about 1/2 cup of shredded beef, about 1/4 cup of mashed pinto beans and about 2 T of shredded cheese. Roll up and place in casserole dish seam side down. Generously top with sauce from crockpot and add a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. Bake at 375 degrees until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. 


                             (rolled and topped with cheese, large for adults, small ones for the kids)

(serve with extra sauce drizzled over burrito)


Serve with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro, diced white onions, sliced avocado slices, tortilla chips and a big old glass of iced tea. Now that is a meal worthy of company and oh so very delicious. 

Now a few tips...
I used a 2 pound roast and it cooked down to make four large size and two smaller size burritos. This amount fed four of us (one of us doesn’t eat beef) with enough left for my husband to take lunch and for me to have a light lunch. With that said, the first time I made them, I only added the beef into the tortilla so they really were more like enchiladas rather than burritos. Plus, we all thought they were even better with lots of sauce so hence we now double it. If you add all the filling above, one per person is more than enough, allowing the meal to go farther. 

As I mentioned earlier, I am food saving any and everything that comes my way. I will never make only a 2 pound roast for this recipe again. It was just too good and easy to freeze. If you make more meat, just make more sauce by increasing the Better than broth and enchilada sauce. The broth and enchilada sauce are more than salty and spicy enough so I didn’t need to add any other seasonings. 

The original recipe called for bouillon cubes which to me are loaded with extra things we don’t want or need in our diets..msg, preservatives etc. The Better Than Broth can be found at Whole Foods or at Costco, for the big jars, which I go through like crazy.  I keep chicken, beef and vegetable on hand at all times to use when I am out of homemade freezer broth.

To food saver this recipe, shred beef and moisten with a little sauce. Put beef in a food saver bag and suck the air out. Next add the sauce to another bag and seal that one. Store the two bags together in the freezer until ready to assemble.

I can’t say this enough...make friends with the food saver! :)

This past week I used the quart size freezer bags and made one dozen double batches of my dry pancake mix. You could certainly make up a large quantity of this mix and store in a bin, but I want to make sure that each batch turns out the same. 

Each batch of pancakes makes 9, 1/4 cup pancakes. Our family of five can eat about fifteen pancakes so that leaves enough to freeze a few for later if I double the batch. I now have about twelve weeks of Sunday breakfast ready to go for this first half of the upcoming school year. 

I put all of the bags in a labeled bin in my pantry along with a gallon ziploc bag to hold the used bags. I don’t need to wash them out because once I have used all twelve bags, they get refilled with pancake mix and resealed. I can likely use each bag three times before I have to toss them. To me, that is economical on so many levels. The pancake recipe is already up on the blog for those of you that are interested in making a batch. 
                                                                           (Food savered pancake mixes)


Tomorrow I will be using those food saver quart bags to make 24 loaves of Honey Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread. We go through about three loaves of homemade sandwich bread a week. These 24 bags will give me about 8 to 9 weeks worth of homemade bread that I can quickly throw together. I hand knead all of my bread in the bowl, so I am not making a huge counter mess to clean. It takes minutes. Again, the bags are saved and resealed to save time and money. 
                                                                   Bread mixes for Fall school semester :)
                                                           (Bread mix ready for the pantry)

Homemade loaves are definitely smaller than regular loaves which is why we go through 2-3 per week.  However, I like the smaller serving size and the fact that I am eliminating preservatives from our diets where I am able. That doesn’t mean all together....that means.. where I am able. I like that. I like doing what I can and not worrying about what I can’t. Plus bread is anywhere from $3 to $5 a loaf, so I like making my own for pennies and using that extra money for organic fruits and veggies or grass fed meats. 
(honey whole wheat bread!)

(homemade sandwich bread, chicken sandwich...YUMMY!!!!)


Well, I took you around the block and to few state fairs on this blog post but wanted to sneak in a few tips and tricks about food saving. I sure hope they prove to be useful additions to your family kitchen.

Happy Cooking,
Ronda from The Family Table

The Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands, and your joy will be complete.
Deuteronomy 16:15

No comments:

Post a Comment