Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Teach Intentionally..."Family Time…Walk Uprightly", with Stacy A. Davis ~ Bible Teacher and Sky Ranch Board Member


Family Time…Walk Uprightly



The family time focus in the “Sky Ranch Family Devotional: Open your eyes” is still on “God shows us grace” and this week looks at your lifestyle. When God poured His grace upon you, you began to change. He began a process of cleaning you up or the “church word” of sanctification. God changes you from the inside out and creates in you a desire to be more like He is. In scripture God calls this right lifestyle, walking uprightly. It means that you desire to live life the right way or God’s way.

As a young Mom, I quickly noticed my young children would follow me wherever I went and copy whatever I did. I was leading them whether I realized it or not! This really humbled me. I questioned…where was I leading them? My kids trusted me and most of the time agreed with me. They believed what I said, repeated what I said and acted as I did.  It was really cute, until they repeated a mean comment I made or an embarrassing thing I said. I realized that they are watching me and they don’t have a filter. They just blindly repeat me. Then I was horrified and, again, humbled. As a young Mom, I questioned if I was leading them the correct way. So, I joined Moms groups and Bible study to get a little input from other sources such as experienced Moms and, of course…God! Once I sought God, He gave me His insight, which is His Holy Spirit, to help guide me. The insight from the other Moms was a huge blessing too! Today, my grown kids don’t copy me in the same way, they now have a filter…, but they are still watching me. I am still a role model to them, and living life God’s way still matters and influences them.

This week in your family time, I would encourage you to prepare by praying for your family and asking God to show you the type of role model that you and your husband are to your kids. Ask God to help you see where you are leading them? Ask God to help you see…if you walk uprightly in His eyes? It can be rather humbling to evaluate yourself. But remember, you can’t walk uprightly on your own…you need God’s Holy Spirit to help you and give you wisdom. Ask for His help raising your kids, He never has expected you to do it without Him. He will pour out His Spirit upon you too and help you. Also, encourage your kids to think about having a filter on their words and actions…ask them if they think before they repeat words or behaviors. There is a proverb (17:27) that says a wise man uses restraint with his words. Remind your kids to choose God’s way and that they will receive “good things” from Him, if they do!

Do you have questions or need prayer for your family? Email me at SkyMoms@skyranch.org.
I will be praying for you! 
Stacy
Stacy A. Davis
Teach Intentionally

This week we are in the  12th  Month Topic and  2nd  Family Time (or page  102) of the Sky Ranch Devotional “Open Your Eyes”…
Family Time 2:
Month 12 Topic:  God shows us grace…Walking uprightly
Talk with God: Read…Psalm 84:11-12, Zechariah 12:10
~ Psalm 84:11-12  For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord gives grace and glory; no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.  O Lord of hosts, how blessed is the man who trusts in You!
  • In Psalm 84:11-12, what is God described as? What does He give? From whom does God not withhold one good thing?
~ Zechariah 12:10  And I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me Whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him, like the bitter weeping over a first-born.
  • Zechariah 12:10 says God will pour out what on His people?  What will they do as a result of their sin?
Walk with God: Discuss… The Lord is a sun and a shield, as referenced in Psalm 84.  What does the sun provide?  And a shield?  What other inanimate objects could the Lord be described as?  Think of as many as you can.  Remind each other that God is everything.  He provides everything we need.  God does not withhold ONE thing from those who love Him and walk uprightly.  Why is it hard for family members to walk uprightly some days?

Prayer suggestion… Thank God for His provision and for being your sun and shield.  
Family Time 2: 
Leader Answers:
  • Sun and shield; grace and glory; those who walk uprightly
  • The spirit of grace and supplication; mourn
Discussion ideas:    Discuss peer pressure and cultural pressures
© 2011 Lisa Clark and Stacy A. Davis, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment